Reply To: Hope

The Gateway Forums Science Social Sciences Psychology Hope Reply To: Hope

tfindlay
Keymaster

I found the articles posted above interesting but to me they seemed to be lacking a crucial ingredient of hope.

Rebecca Solnit on living in dark times

Hope is an embrace of the unknown. Hope locates itself in the premises that we don’t know what will happen and that in the spaciousness of uncertainty is room to act.

ME: Uncertainty seems precarious basis for hope. It justifies despair and hope equally.

“Critical thinking without hope is cynicism, but hope without critical thinking is naivety,” the Bulgarian writer Maria Popova recently remarked.

ME: The critical thinking based on faulty assumptions is not helpful. The critical thinking we need must be based in a realistic understanding of reality. The interdependent mindset provides this foundation.

Daily KOS – arhpdx for Good News

“The hope I am interested in is about broad perspectives with specific possibilities, ones that invite or demand that we act”

ME: Inspirational perspectives may provoke action but unless the action is based in an interdependent view of reality it may not have positive outcomes.

“Once we start to act, hope is everywhere. So instead of looking for hope, look for action. Then, and only then, hope will come. — Greta Thunburg

ME: Again, action is only hopeful when it is undertaken with an accurate view of the actual way nature works (interdependent interaction). In my view, hope comes with seeing clearly how nature works and seeing that when we act accordingly we are far more effective than when we act without this understanding.

The understanding interdependent reality is the source of realistic hope because it provides a foundation for action that can be effective in addressing the many and various problems we face in the world.

Thoughts?

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by tfindlay.