Email Notifications and Subscribing to Topics

Information related to the use of this forum such as how to register, post topics, and reply to topics.
tfindlay
Site Admin

Email Notifications and Subscribing to Topics

Post by tfindlay »

There is no email notification of new posts by default. This is because forcing unsolicited email is considered spamming. If you want email notifications for new posts, subscribe to all forums (as described below) and in Notifications, check the box to receive email notification.

You may want to receive email notifications when a topic you are interested in gets a new reply. For this to happen you must be subscribed to the topic. There are two ways to do this. This first is to reply to the topic. When you post a reply to a topic you are automatically subscribed to that topic and will receive notification whenever a new reply is made to it.

The second way to subscribe to a topic is to go to the topic and click on the dropdown menu under the text. Click on the checked box to the left of Subscribe Topic. This part may be confusing because if you are not subscribed to the topic the box next to Subscribe Topic is already checked. You have to click on the checked checkbox to subscribe.
Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 8.31.16 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 8.31.16 AM.png (66.77 KiB) Viewed 4698 times
To Unsubscribe to a topic go to the topic and click on the dropdown menu under the text. Check the Unsubscribe Topic box.

You can set notification preferences in your User Control Panel
Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 8.16.33 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 8.16.33 AM.png (83.52 KiB) Viewed 4702 times

In your control panel click on the Board Preferences tab and then the Edit Notification Options on the left. Check or uncheck items as desired.

NOTE: There is a difference between Notifications and Email. Notifications will be displayed under the Notifications link at the top. Checking an item in the Notifications column does not mean you will get an email notification. To get an email notification you must check the appropriate box under in the Email column
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 8.42.35 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 8.42.35 AM.png (312.01 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
vandermude

Re: Email Notifications and Subscribing to Topics

Post by vandermude »

Arrrgh! This is not working! I posted something on the "texts" subject. There was a response. I got no notification. I am not getting any notifications. And I don't have a spam filter. I may have to change my registered email from blackhole@bitbucket.org back to my regular email address. Maybe that would help.
tfindlay
Site Admin

Re: Email Notifications and Subscribing to Topics

Post by tfindlay »

I just got a notification of your reply to this topic. It went into my Spam folder but my Apple Mail shows me the number of emails in the Spam folder so I looked in it and there was the notification.