Fundamental texts

Topics related to practices related to religious naturalism
Michael422

Fundamental texts

Post by Michael422 »

Friends, As my first post to our new forum I'd like to respond to Loren Peters's question on RNAnet, in which he wonders aloud what book a religious naturalist being sworn into public office might use to be sworn in to office. My first thought was "The Book of Nature," but since there is no actual book to use I thought maybe of "On the Origin of Species." My current thought, however, would be not to use an actual book at all, but a natural object. I'm a bonsai aficionado, so maybe a bonsai would suffice. Or a creature from a species in danger of extinction. Or a child.

I'm not sure how to use this new forum yet, so am posting this in "Miscellaneous." I'm hoping Terry can teach me how to re-characterize it, because even as I'm writing it I'm wanting to have a label entitled "Scripture" with this entry a sub-category called "The Book of Nature." Terry, how do I do that, presumably under "Books?"

Yours,
Michael
tfindlay
Site Admin

Re: Fundamental texts

Post by tfindlay »

Michael, I had similar thoughts about using natural objects as opposed to sacred texts. Since nature is sacred to us RNers it makes sense that we might want to show our reverence for nature when taking a solemn oath. In the spirit of anti-dogmatism perhaps the individual involved should decide how to demonstrate this reverence.

Regarding how to organize topics it is important to remember that only a forum administrator can create new categories or sub-categories. Registered users can create topics or reply to existing topics. This may seem restrictive but allowing all users to create categories and sub-categories would soon result in an impossibly complex hierarchy. I think you will find as you create new topics in established categories or reply to topics created by others that the system works well. The structure for all online forums is the same:
Category (or Sub-category)
--Topics 1
----Replies to topic 1
--Topic 2
----Replies to topic 2
vandermude

Post by vandermude »

Having been sworn in for jury duty, all I had to do was raise my right hand and swear. I don't think a physical token of any kind is required.

That seems adequate for me.

If you want something physical, well then, how about a candle lit from some Religious Naturalism Eternal Flame? Kind of, you know, the Light of Truth or some such folderol.

Tony Van der Mude
tfindlay
Site Admin

Post by tfindlay »

Tony, I think a candle, or any flame, could be said to represent an Eternal Flame since all fires require fuel + heat + oxygen. It's a universal/eternal formula for light.