Places of Reverence for Religious Naturalists.

Topics related to practices related to religious naturalism
Andrew

Places of Reverence for Religious Naturalists.

Post by Andrew »

To go with the discussion on practices I think a good topic would be on the places we practise. Of course, some little rituals lend themselves to being done in the moment, wherever you happen to be, and most or all of us have some favourite natural spot where we can go and refocus ourselves. However, I'd also like to think about places designed or built specifically for the task.

One of my hobbies is gardening, and I avidly enjoy keeping up with the Royal Horticultural Society and its activities, and in particular, the Chelsea Flower Show. Every year, this flagship show of British gardening culture features exhibition gardens created by top designers, often with a theme or purpose in mind. Recently, the RHS gave a sneak peek at what's going to be at this year's show, and this one caught my eye...

https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/rhs ... nscendence

According to the brief, this garden is meant "to deliver an uplifting, spiritual and inspiring space," and while in this case it's intended to be a comfort for those at the end of life, I think it makes a good starting point for thoughts about what an dedicated RN space would look like.

So, let some imagination run wild. What do you think a purposeful Religious Naturalist gathering place would look like?
Cheers,
Andrew
Emerson

Re: Places of Reverence for Religious Naturalists.

Post by Emerson »

The idea of garden as a space for gathering … come rain or shine … sounds perfect to me.

Perhaps actual RN gatherings would have to deal with rain and sleet, but the idea of bringing the seasons into the gatherings also sounds right to me.

I spend as much time as I can outdoors in my yard (no truly established garden but garden in the broad sense) … I tend to about an acre with the good fortune of one side bordering an creek / pond that feeds into a river. The pond and yard is home to many species of birds and critters, so lots of activities to tend to or observe.

RNers might find ways to bring all the outside inside or take most of their gatherings outside.
- Emerson